Siem Reap Bakery Closed After Mass Poisoning
Siem Reap: A bakery in the Bakong district was closed after eight people were poisoned. Authorities shut down the site because they found improper hygiene in the production, which endangered the health of consumers.
The bakery facility was closed on August 17, 2019 in Siem Reap’s Prasat Bakong district.
Eight people living in Khun Ream commune in Banteay Srei district on August 16, 2019, suffered food poisoning after eating bread sourced from the location. Other reports say 37 people were affected.
After eating, they suffered from abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea and were sent to the health center for treatment.
Siem Reap provincial health officials have confirmed that the poisoning of the bread was not caused by chemicals, but because of poor hygiene. The patients were treated and expected to make a full recovery.
Prasat Bakong District Authority has requested all businesses, especially food, pastries, to consider safety, hygiene and quality to consumers.