An Adelaide man has been charged with child sex offences allegedly committed in Cambodia over a three-year period, following a joint investigation by state authorities and the Australian Federal Police (AFP).
- Police initially raided the home in Adelaide’s south in May and seized a USB device containing child exploitation material
- A 46-year-old man was arrested but he is now facing additional charges
- Police allege he carried out child sex offences in Cambodia from 2002 to 2005
The arrest follows the search of a southern suburbs home last month, which allegedly uncovered child exploitation material.
Police said another search conducted on Tuesday resulted in further charges being laid against the 46-year-old man.
The South Australia Joint Anti Child Exploitation Team (SA-JACET) said it received a referral from the Queensland Police Service regarding the man in February this year.
The referral came after identifying a user linked to an IP address in Adelaide who was allegedly posting child exploitation material on an image-hosting website.
A search was carried out at the house in May and he was arrested after police seized a USB device allegedly containing child exploitation material.
Police said further search warrants resulted in the man, who was out on bail, being arrested today on new charges.
Police allege he sexually abused children in Cambodia between 2002 and 2005.
Electronic devices allegedly containing evidence of the offending were also seized.
The man has been charged under Commonwealth law with two counts of sexual intercourse with a child under 16 while outside Australia.
He is also facing a further six counts of sexual conduct involving a child under 16 while outside Australia.
Perpetrators will be ‘brought to justice’
AFP crime operations coordinator Superintendent Gail McClure said the case was part of the bigger fight against child sexual abuse.
“It is heartbreaking to see children being the target of this abhorrent crime, but it only strengthens our resolve to ensure perpetrators are brought to justice,” she said.
“We will continue to work with domestic and international partners to identify and prosecute the perpetrators of child sexual abuse, wherever in the world these heinous offences are carried out.”
She also sounded out a warning to others who may be involved in this type of offending.
“To people involved in similar offending, my warning to you is there is a highly skilled and dedicated team of investigators focused on catching you,” she said.
South Australian police have urged people with information about child sexual abuse to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
“The consequences are devastating for children who are victims of abuse — we are all working with the same intention to rescue and protect defenceless children,” Detective Superintendent Mark Wieszyk said.