Australia-Cambodia Refugee Deal Dead

Australia’s controversial refugee resettlement deal with Cambodia has expired and is “no longer an option” for the immediate future, the country’s Senate has been told.

Senator Richard Di Natale, the leader of the Australian Greens, pressed the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) on the future of the agreement in a Senate Estimates Hearing last week, transcripts of which were released Thursday.

“Senator, the MOU expired on the 26th of September so it’s no longer an option for refugees on Nauru to resettle into Cambodia,” DFAT’s people smuggling and human trafficking Ambassador Geoffrey Shaw told the committee.

FILE - A small group of Muslim refugees pray at sunset while others play soccer at an Australian-run camp for asylum seekers on the small Pacfic island of Nauru, Sept. 20, 2001. Australia run similar camps on Manus Island in Papua New Guinea.
FILE – A small group of Muslim refugees pray at sunset while others play soccer at an Australian-run camp for asylum seekers on the small Pacfic island of Nauru, Sept. 20, 2001. Australia run similar camps on Manus Island in Papua New Guinea.

In 2016, then Immigration Minister Scott Morrison infamously clinked champagne glasses with Cambodian officials to celebrate the resettlement deal.

It cost Australia tens of millions of dollars in aid but only ever saw a handful of refugees arrive in Cambodia and even less stay.

The Australian government was berated by rights groups for paying, what critics call, a corrupt and authoritarian government to take refugees it had forced into an offshore processing center on the tiny island nation of Nauru.

Pressed on any potential future extension on the deal, Shaw said he had provided the government policy advice on the issue but refused to disclose what that had been..

Ket Sophann, spokesman for the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, told VOA Thursday that the refugee deal remains valid, but it’s not attractive to the refugees.

“There is no plan to end this deal, meaning the project is still going on. But nobody wants to come,” he said, noting that the governments of the two countries have not yet decided to end the deal.

General Khieu Sopheak, spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, said Phnom Penh will find a way to discuss the issue with the Australian government if it intends to end the deal.

“If they want to end the deal, we will probably discuss it once again or end it with a written notification. We will discuss in a legal way, which is applicable for us,” he said.

Hong Lim, a Cambodian-Australian parliamentarian in the Victorian State of Australia who has been a vocal critic of the deal and Hun Sen’s regime, welcomed its end.

“Well it should be [ended], it became ridiculous and an albatross for Australia,” he said.

“Hopefully everyone is aware it is not working, the [AUD] $55 million is just a waste and a disgrace and everyone now does the right thing for Cambodia,” he said.

Carl Thayer, an emeritus professor and Cambodia expert at The University of New South Wales, said the deal was a bad one for the refugees.

“The security and safety of these people, their status as residents of Cambodia, was never determined. And there’s no interest in the government of Cambodia going out of its way to protect them, to give them residency or a path to citizenship.”

With political pressure in Australia mounting on the government to stop detaining children on Nauru and the Cambodian government’s recent move to even greater authoritarianism, he suggested a resuscitation was very unlikely.

VOA

FILE - Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne arrives for the ASEM 12 in Brussels, Oct. 18, 2018.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shares